When you’re pregnant, everyone seems to have an opinion on your baby. From predicting their gender based on the foods you crave to pushing all kinds of products your way, you can’t—and probably shouldn’t—listen to everyone’s non-expert perspective. You should, however, listen to the advice of real experts who recommend nutrient-packed prenatal vitamin supplements and a healthy diet.
You might wonder, what is the importance of prenatal vitamins? This guide will cover five major benefits of prenatal vitamins, as well as delve into why relying on only the purest and most powerful ingredients is a key to a healthy pregnancy. After all, you and your baby deserve the best.
#1 Mitigating Risks of Birth Defects
It’s only natural to worry about the health of your baby, especially during early pregnancy, before you can see and touch them firsthand to make sure they’re okay. One of the best things you can do for yourself and your baby during this time is to eat a balanced diet packed with nutrient-rich foods that are free of harmful ingredients, while also incorporating gentle movement into your days.
However, even when following these guidelines, it is still important to be aware of the vitamins and nutrients you may not be getting enough of from your food, and to supplement with them accordingly.
If you’re expecting, one of the most significant benefits of taking prenatal vitamins is that they can reduce the risk of several birth defects and stop certain health problems before they start. Take a look at how the right vitamins can lead to a healthy pregnancy and help prevent the following issues:
- Anencephaly – Anencephaly is a birth defect that inhibits the complete development of the baby’s brain. This condition is linked to insufficient folate (Vitamin B9) , so a good daily dose of our Synergy B12 containing L-Methylfolate can mitigate the risk of your baby developing this condition (1).
- Spina Bifida – From the Latin term meaning “split spine,” Spina Bifida is also linked to insufficient levels of folate in the mother’s body. It occurs when the spine and spinal cord don’t develop properly, and it’s currently the most common birth defect in the U.S. (2).
- Rickets – This condition refers to the softening and weakening of a baby’s bone. It's caused by a prolonged vitamin D deficiency, which can easily be prevented with adequate nutrition and taking our Synergy D3 K2 CoQ10 (3).
Even the healthiest pregnancy comes with some inherent risks of birth defects, but taking the right steps to foster your baby’s well-being can make all the difference. In fact, getting enough of a folic acid supplement can reduce the risk of neural tube defects by up to 70%, so you can breathe a big sigh of relief (4).
#2 Ensuring A Happy, Healthy Pregnancy
Between decorating the nursery, buying adorable infant outfits, and baby-proofing every room in your house, you’re going to be busy when you’re pregnant. No matter how packed your schedule is, it’s still important to prioritize your own wellness in addition to your baby’s.
When you’re responsible for two lives, it’s all the more important to take your daily prenatal vitamins to avoid potential pregnancy pitfalls such as:
Anemia – It takes an incredible amount of energy to grow a baby, which can deplete your body’s natural supply of iron. Taking a prenatal vitamin supplement that contains the right amount of iron can reduce your risk of developing anemia, which can cause other more serious problems during pregnancy such as premature birth and low birth weight. Daily iron can also improve your day-to-day life by reducing fatigue and lightheadedness.
- Preeclampsia – Preeclampsia is a dangerous condition that can affect pregnant women, and in some cases even lead to an emergency C-section. Symptoms include high blood pressure, fluid retention, and excess protein in the urine. You can reduce your risk of developing preeclampsia with an adequate intake of folate (5). Folate is a type of B vitamin, and Cymbiotika’s Synergy Vitamin B12 is the perfect source of this disease-preventing nutrient.
- Bone Density Depletion – Your baby needs calcium to grow, and if you’re not consuming enough through your diet, your body will begin to deplete stores from your teeth and bones. Without enough of this essential mineral in your daily vitamins, you risk losing bone density, which can negatively impact your health later in life (4). We recommend taking our Synergy D3 K2 CoQ10 formula to increase your body’s ability to absorb calcium and to support your teeth and skeletal system.
#3 Enjoying Holistic Wellness Support
The list of things you can do to support you and your baby’s health during pregnancy goes on, and on, and on... There are plenty of lifestyle adjustments you can make to your diet, exercise, and stress levels, but prenatal vitamins are still the cherry on top of an otherwise perfect pregnancy wellness routine.
Omega 3s Help Unlock Optimal Health
Prenatal vitamins give you an extra boost of nutrients, and they can help fill in any nutritional needs and gaps. For example, if you don’t like to eat fatty fish like salmon, herring, anchovies, or sardines, taking a prenatal with the same essential amount of the Omega-3 fatty acid will ensure you’re getting the same benefits (5).
Cymbiotika’s The Omega is a 100% natural, vegan product that’s perfect for expecting moms because it’s packed with this vital nutrient. Not only do studies show that Omega-3s help optimize babies’ brain development, but it’s also essential for brain and nerve health at all ages.
#4 Looking As Good As You Feel
Though your body and its needs will be changing throughout your pregnancy journey, you can still count on that special pregnancy glow to help you feel confident even during the challenging times.
This beautiful aura is largely due to changes in hormones that have a positive effect on hair, skin, and nails. However, prenatal vitamins also contain beauty-boosting nutrients such as B12, iron, and biotin (6). Prenatal supplements packed with vitamin C, like Cymbiotika’s Synergy Liposomal Vitamin C, also work to boost collagen—a major factor in healthy skin and hair.
Some celebrities swear by taking prenatal vitamins even when they’re not pregnant to help keep them red-carpet ready. And while you might not be stepping out to a Hollywood premiere any time soon, prenatal vitamins will ensure you’re getting everything you need to thrive, inside and out.
#5 Getting A Jumpstart on All Your Vital Nutrients
What many people don’t realize is that the nine months during pregnancy isn’t the only time you should be taking prenatal supplements—the “pre” applies to everything before birth, including preconception.
Experts recommend focusing on a diet rich in bioavailable nutrients AND taking prenatal vitamins months to years before pregnancy to help your body build up stores of nutrients like iron, calcium, and folate. By getting a head start on prepping your body for pregnancy, conceive, you and your baby will have all the nutrition you need from day one (7). And instead of playing catch-up during the first trimester, you’ll already be on the right path towards a healthy pregnancy and birth.
Whether you’re preparing for your first child or adding a sibling to the family, the benefits of prenatal vitamins before pregnancy are clear. It allows you to be proactive about you and your future baby’s health as an expectant mother.
Cymbiotika: Formulas Designed with Mom in Mind
At Cymbiotika, our goal is to pamper moms and moms-to-be with premium nutrients. Our Mother’s Day bundle contains products that are specifically designed for moms, including:
- Synergy Liposomal Vitamin C – Vitamin C is one of nature’s most powerful antioxidants. Our unique formulation is designed for easy absorption, so your body can easily unlock its immune-boosting, beautifying power. Its bioavailability is comparable with a vitamin C injection, making it truly unique as an oral supplement.
- Liposomal Elderberry Defense – When you’re expecting (or caring for little ones), the last thing you want is to come down with a virus. Liposomal Elderberry Defense is a great formula if you are considering how to boost your immune system while pregnant. It optimizes nature’s strongest defenses against harmful pathogens like the flu. Elderberry contains natural vitamin C, quercetin, and phenolic acids, which we combine with zinc, copper, echinacea, and selenium to strengthen the immune system and promote wellness.
- Adrenal Super Tonic – Stress is the root cause of many illnesses and diseases, and it’s no secret that pregnancy and motherhood can bring a little—or a lot—of stress. Thankfully, our Adrenal Super Tonic helps your body respond to stress with its synergistic mix of biodynamic vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Not only will it help ward off stress-related maladies, but it’ll also help boost your mood and overall happiness.
- Synergy D3 + K2 + COQ10 – This revolutionary organic blend is the only formulation of its kind that’s 100% plant-based and vegan. Our Synergy formula activates over 3,000 genes associated with healing, and it helps your body absorb calcium, making it the perfect supporting supplement for a healthy pregnancy.
- Synergy Vitamin B12 – Vitamin B12 is a vital nutrient that supports red blood cell production, neurological function, enhanced mood and memory, heart health, and bone strength. In addition to B12, our formula also contains fulvic minerals and folate that are essential for every pregnancy.
Whether or not you’re currently with a child, your daily supplements are only as powerful as the ingredients they’re made with. At Cymbiotika, we’re particular about what goes into our products, so you can rest assured you’re only giving your body the absolute best.
Packed with organic, vegan, gluten-free ingredients to help foster health during both pregnancy and motherhood, each of these cutting-edge formulations is designed with moms in mind.
When your baby’s health is your top priority, Cymbiotika can help you do everything you can to ensure your pregnancy is healthy and happy, and feel confident that it’s working!
- Healthline. What is Anencephaly? https://www.healthline.com/health/anencephaly
- WebMD. What is Spina Bifida? https://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/spina-bifida#2
- Kansas City OBGYN. The Benefits of Prenatal Vitamins for Your Pregnancy. https://www.kcobgyn.com/blog/prenatal-vitamin-health-benefits-pregnant-women
- Virginia Beach OBGYN. 10 Benefits of Prenatal Vitamins. https://www.virginiabeachobgyn.com/blog/10-benefits-of-prenatal-vitamins/
- MayoClinic. Iron Deficiency Anemia During Pregnancy: Prevention Tips. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/pregnancy-week-by-week/in-depth/anemia-during-pregnancy/art-20114455
- Women’s Day. Pros and Cons of Taking Prenatal When You’re Not Pregnant. https://www.womansday.com/health-fitness/womens-health/g3059/taking-prenatal-vitamins-when-not-pregnant/
- WebMD. Protect Your Pregnancy Before You Conceive. https://www.webmd.com/baby/features/protect-your-pregnancy-before-you-conceive#1