Essential Supplements to Balance Hormones
12 min read
- Hormones play a crucial role in overall health
- Various factors can cause hormone imbalances
- Mary shares her favorite supplements that can help balance hormones naturally
Hormones play a crucial role in overall health and well-being. As someone who’s been struggling with balancing my hormones, I know firsthand how frustrating it can be. While some days I feel fine, some days feel like a constant battle.
Signs of a hormonal imbalance
Hormones are responsible for regulating various bodily functions such as metabolism, growth and development, mood, and reproductive health.
Are these common factors affecting your hormones?
- Stress. Stress is most likely your number one enemy for hormone health. If you have high cortisol levels, you may notice symptoms like weight gain, acne, fatigue, and low sex drive.
- Poor digestion. Fun (but gross) fact: we excrete estrogen through our stool. Without proper digestion, this process can cause a build-up of estrogen and cause symptoms like irregular or heavy periods, weight gain, fatigue, and fibroids in females.
- Caffeine. Too much caffeine can disrupt the regular rhythm of cortisol and trick your body into a state of emergency or high cortisol, making you feel more tired or stressed.
- Sitting at your desk all day. When you sit for prolonged periods, it can cause your body to experience physical stress, even if you are not doing anything strenuous.
- Sugar. Excessive, refined sugar can cause our body to produce too much insulin, which can lead to a drop in blood sugar levels. This drop can then trigger the release of cortisol.
- Not enough sleep. Not getting enough sleep or having inconsistent sleep patterns can negatively affect our reproductive hormones, which can lead to irregular cycles, fatigue, and fertility issues.
It's important to know your body is always trying to communicate with you. When you experience hormonal symptoms like mood changes, tender breasts, irregular periods, or acne, your body is sending you a clear sign that something is out of balance.
Here are other signs to look out for:
- Major mood swings and irritability
- Trouble sleeping
- Increased PMS symptoms
- Poor digestion or irregular bowel movements
- Decrease in sex drive
- Painful periods
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Weight gain
- Hot flashes
- May feel like a decrease in overall health
- Loss of energy and zest for life
- Skin imbalances
It takes time
Balancing your hormones is a complicated process and takes time. Unfortunately, there isn’t one quick fix or magic pill that will fix these health issues. But, there are things you can do to help balance your hormones and return to equilibrium.
Here are some of my favorite Cymbiotika supplements that can help you balance your hormones naturally.
Note: remember that everyone's bodies are different and you should always consult with a healthcare practitioner before starting any new supplement regimen.
Natural supplements to help balance hormones:
Liposomal Magnesium L-Threonate
Magnesium is required for hundreds of enzymatic processes throughout the body and plays a critical role in memory, communication, our bones, our immune system, and overall health.
For women, magnesium is especially important for those dealing with PMS, PCOS, adrenal fatigue, anxiety, thyroid disorder, perimenopause symptoms, or any issues related to the hormone cycle.
Because their formula is in liposomal form, the product is more bioavailable, which means it’s more effective in addressing these issues.
Here are some other ways in which magnesium is crucial for hormones:
- Cortisol regulation: Magnesium helps calm the nervous system and prevent the overproduction of cortisol, the stress hormone. This leads to balance in the stress hormonal system and proper levels of other hormones like progesterone, estrogen, testosterone, follicle-stimulating hormones (FSH), and luteinizing hormone (LH).
- Blood sugar balance: Magnesium aids in controlling insulin production and curbing sugar cravings, preventing spikes in blood sugar levels. This is particularly beneficial for managing hormonal issues like PCOS.
- Thyroid Support: Magnesium assists in the production of thyroid hormone and also works as an anti-inflammatory agent to prevent thyroid disease.
- Sleep aid: Magnesium helps ensure a restful night's sleep by promoting sleep onset and reducing the likelihood of frequent urination during the night.
- Hormone creation: Magnesium is essential in the creation of hormones like progesterone, estrogen, and testosterone. It’s particularly helpful for those experiencing low levels of these hormones during perimenopause or after discontinuing birth control pills.
Vitamin D3 + K2 + COQ10
Selenium is essential for hormone regulation and is one of the main ingredients in the Vitamin D3+L2+COQ10 formula. Selenium, as a selenoprotein, helps to convert the thyroid hormone into its active form. It also supports fertility, mood, and a healthy immune system.
Charcoal helps to detoxify the liver. The liver is a vital organ that works hard to keep your hormones balanced and to keep PMS, cramps, endometriosis, PCOS, and other troublesome conditions at bay.
Adaptogens have been used for thousands of years by a number of cultures to help calm the body and mind, balance hormones, and even improve athletic performance. Adaptogens work with your body, helping to balance and regulate hormones and support your immune system.
Shilajit is a complex mineral sourced from high elevations, specifically the Himalayan Mountains. It has over 84+ minerals and antioxidants, which can help support hormonal balance, improve energy levels, reduce inflammation, and combat free radicals in the body.
Zinc is essential for the synthesis and activation of thyroid hormone. Zinc helps to stimulate the immune system and can also help to regulate the menstrual cycle.
I understand that taking care of your health and well-being can be challenging, but I am confident that with the right mindset and the right approach, you can achieve your wellness goals and feel better both physically and mentally.
Remember that small steps can lead to big changes, and that progress, not perfection, is what matters most. So, stay positive, stay motivated, and keep working towards your goals. I wish you all the best on your journey to better health and well-being!
MPORTANT: We cannot legally give health advice or recommend products for specific diseases or health diagnoses. Many of the ingredients in Vitamin D3+K2 +COQ10, Longevity Mushrooms, Activated Charcoal, Shilajit, and Adrenal Super Tonic have been researched and studied for their positive effects on hormones and hormone balance.
As a lifestyle writer and health enthusiast, I’m excited to bring my passion for storytelling to Cymbiotika. Two things you should know about me: I love interior decorating, and I’m obsessed with supplements. My kitchen counter literally overflows with supplements and powders. This passion led me to buy my first Cymbiotika product. I tried the Liposomal Magnesium L-Threonate and was so impressed by how it gave me more energy and cleared up my brain fog that I wanted to share this brand with as many people as possible. Shortly after, I’m here doing just that. I’m excited to be on this journey of better health with Cymbiotika, and I’m excited to share it with you here on the blog.
Reviewed by: Dr. Pejman Taghavi
Medical Director, Hollywood Healthcare
Clinical Instructor, Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center
Dr. Pejman Taghavi is a specialist in the field of Diagnostic and Interventional Abdominal and Musculoskeletal Radiology. As medical director of Hollywood Healthcare and faculty at UCLA Medical Center, Dr. Taghavi offers extensive expertise in the field of radiology, with publications in the Society of Skeletal Radiology and Chicago Radiological Society, among others. Dr. Taghavi is passionate about the healing of muscles and joints without relying on oral pain medications. Dr. Taghavi has experience working with high-level athletes from the LA Lakers, LA Dodgers, and UCLA Bruins.