MAGNESIUM L THREONATE
Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in your body.
It’s involved in over 300 metabolic reactions that are essential for human health, including energy production, blood pressure regulation, nerve signal transmission, and muscle contraction Interestingly, low levels are linked to a variety of illnesses, such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, mood disorders, and migraines. (1,3)
Magnesium L-threonate is a nutritional supplement containing the L-threonate form of magnesium (Mg) that can be used to normalize Mg levels in the body. Upon administration, Mg is utilized by the body for many biochemical functions and reactions including: bone and muscle function, protein and fatty acid formation, activation of B vitamins, blood clotting, insulin secretion, and ATP formation. Mg also serves as a catalyst for many enzymes throughout the body. In addition, magnesium improves the functioning of the immune system by enhancing the expression of natural killer activating receptor NKG2D in cytotoxic T-lymphocytes and natural killer (NK) cells. This increases their anti-viral and anti-tumor cytotoxic effects. (2)
Magnesium L-threonate is the salt formed from mixing magnesium and threonic acid, a water-soluble substance derived from the metabolic breakdown of vitamin C. (4)
This form is easily absorbed. Animal research notes that it may be the most effective type for increasing magnesium concentrations in brain cells. (5) Magnesium L-threonate is often used for its potential brain benefits and may help manage certain brain disorders, such as depression and age-related memory loss.
Magnesium is so important for health that it’s been called the master mineral.
It’s particularly important for a healthy brain and nervous system.It exhibits anti-stress, anti-anxiety, anti-depressive, and neuroprotective properties. Magnesium l-threonate was specifically created to cross the brain’s protective filter, the blood-brain barrier. (6)
Another brain-enhancing property of magnesium l-threonate is that it increases brain plasticity. (7)Neuroplasticity is the brain’s ability to change and grow, and is fundamental for memory and learning to take place.Lastly, there’s evidence that magnesium l-threonate can increase brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), a protein that stimulates the formation of new brain cells.(8)
Magnesium L-Threonate Clinical Trial Results. “There’s only one clinical trial that’s been published in a peer-reviewed medical journal. Study participants were older adults (ages 50 through 70) who reported concerns with memory, concentration, anxiety, and sleep. (9)
They were evaluated for four aspects of cognitive ability — working memory, episodic memory, attention, and executive function — the last being a group of skills that helps you set goals, plan, and get things done.They were given magnesium l-threonate for 12 weeks.
As researchers expected from the results of animal tests, magnesium l-threonate increased magnesium levels in human brain cells. When retested, all participants performed significantly better in all four cognitive areas.Magnesium l-threonate also significantly reduced their biological brain age.On average, these seniors’ brains functioned as if they were 9.4 years younger than when the study began, according to standard tests.For most participants, this effectively reversed their brain age back to their chronological age.”(8)
Magnesium l-threonate and dementia and Alzheimer’s
Magnesium l-threonate shows potential for treating dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
There’s a well-established link between low magnesium and all kinds of dementia, including Alzheimer’s. (10) Research studying human populations finds that diets high in magnesium correlate to a reduced risk of all kinds of dementia. (11)
Magnesium l-threonate, learning, and memory
Magnesium l-threonate aids learning and three kinds of memory. Rats became smarter, better “students” when given magnesium l-threonate. (12)
They learned more readily and showed improvements in working, short-term, and long-term memory. (13)
FOUND IN THE FOLLOWING PRODUCT(S)
Works Cited & Clinical Studies
1. The Importance of Magnesium in Clinical Healthcare
2. Magnesium L-Threonate | C8H14MgO10 - PubChem
3. Magnesium in Prevention and Therapy
4. Threonic acid | C4H8O5 - PubChem
5. New paradigms for treatment-resistant depression
6. Magnesium supplement helps boost brainpower
7. Effects of Elevation of Brain Magnesium on Fear Conditioning, Fear Extinction, and Synaptic Plasticity in the Infralimbic Prefrontal Cortex and Lateral Amygdala
8. Magnesium L-Threonate: Breakthrough Brain Supplement
9. Efficacy and Safety of MMFS-01, a Synapse Density Enhancer, for Treating Cognitive Impairment in Older Adults: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial
10. Altered ionized magnesium levels in mild-to-moderate Alzheimer's disease
11. Self-reported dietary intake of potassium, calcium, and magnesium and risk of dementia in the Japanese: the Hisayama Study
12. Regulation of structural and functional synapse density by L-threonate through modulation of intraneuronal magnesium concentration
13. Enhancement of Learning and Memory by Elevating Brain Magnesium